How to use hashtags on social media 2021
How to use hashtags on social media in 2021
This blog, how to use hashtags on social media in 2021 will help you dominate your hashtag journey.
So, what is a hashtag?
A hashtag (#) allows you to reach an untapped audience that doesn’t currently follow you but have an interest in the topic you hashtagged.
Using a hashtag on social media platforms is nothing new. Recently someone asked me what a hashtag was and how would their social media presence benefit from using it. Like everything in digital marketing, testing and optimization is the most important part.
How to Use Hashtags on Facebook in 2021
Using a hashtag on any social media platform can get your posts more exposure. However, you need to use them in the right way, for each specific media platform.
For using hashtags on Facebook, here are some tips:
- Don’t use too many hashtags.
- Try using 1-2 hashtags per post for the best engagement. According to Facebook, if you use more than two hashtags in one post, you will see less engagement. Remember, each business page is different. After looking at a few analytics, you will be able to see the number of hashtags that get you the most engagement.
- Make your Facebook post public.
- If your post is set to private, only your friends and followers will see your posts, even with hashtags. So, essentially the hashtags are deemed pointless.
How to Use Hashtags on Twitter in 2021
Twitter was the social media platform that made the hashtag the most popular. Tweets with a “#” will see a huge boost in their engagement. But, as I said before, each platform has an optimal hashtag strategy.
For using hashtags on Twitter, here are some tips:
- Tweets that have 1-2 hashtags will have a 21% increase in engagement.
- Only use a select few hashtags, you don’t have to go all out
- Tweets with hashtags generate more retweets
- If you specifically ask for “retweets” and not “RT” you will receive them more often.
- Research trending hashtags to get a maximum engagement
- There are hundreds of Twitter analytics that you can use to find your optimal hashtags.
- Don’t use hashtags on your Twitter ads.
- This one confused me too, however research shows that if you don’t include hashtags on your ad, you will receive more ad clicks.
How to Use Hashtags on Instagram in 2021
For the past two platforms, I said 1-2 hashtags are the most effective, however for Instagram that is not the case.
For using hashtags on Instagram, here are some tips:
- Be sure to ALWAYS use hashtags on Instagram.
- You will get a 12.6% increase in post engagements.
- The more the merrier.
- The more hashtags you use on Instagram the more chance you will get a higher engagement level. The limit is only 30, make sure you use them all.
How to Use Hashtags on LinkedIn in 2021
LinkedIn never really used to use hashtags however, since the dynamic of LinkedIn has changed over the past year, hashtags have become a lot more useful.
For using hashtags on LinkedIn, here are some tips:
- Business profile hashtags.
- LinkedIn allows you to add hashtags onto your business profile, make sure they are set.
- Not an optimal number.
- Since this a newer feature there’s not a lot of research about the subject, but I suggest using 2-5. This will give you exposure but not allowing you to seem too spammy.
- Use hashtags in your posts
- This will allow LinkedIn to categorize your posts which will show interested users. This will also make your posts relevant to the demographic you are trying to reach.
More Tips on how to use hashtags on social media in 2021.
When you are considering using a hashtag, be sure to take a look into what your competition is doing, and looking at the industry leader on each platform to see what they are doing as well. They are also tools and software that will allow you to track your past posts, and competition posts to help you track your performance.
Here at Social AXcess, we take time in researching our client’s industries to make their organic reach increase. Be sure to reach out to us if you need any help regarding your hashtags or any digital marketing needs.